Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Poupay Captures the Ephemeral Weirdness That Makes A City Unique

What Jutharat Pinyodoonyachet, who goes by the name Poupay, loves best about photography is capturing the energy of people on the street. “I really love the energy of New York,” she told PDNedu. “There are so many things happening. People drink weird things, and they don’t really think about others.”

Born and raised in Bangkok, Thailand, Poupay moved to New York in 2016 to attend the one-year certificate program at the International Center of Photography.

“I like shooting in my country too,” she says. “I like shooting in Bangkok. Bangkok is very weird, too—it’s very busy. But there is a different weirdness. In New York, people are doing weird things intentionally. They want to be weird. They want people to see them as weirdos. In Bangkok people do weird things without realizing it.”

Poupay’s eye for the quirky, strange happenings that make every city unique unto itself has earned her spots in multiple group exhibitions, including the 2017 EyeEm Photography Festival in Berlin, Germany. She has also done Instagram takeovers for the New Yorker and Feature Shoot, and has been featured in the Singles section of the spring 2018 issue of PDNedu.

Currently, she is working as a freelance photographer for Magnum Photos. Even still, she’s hesitant to label herself as a photographer. “It’s my hobby,” she told me. “I really don’t consider myself as a photographer.”

When I asked her why not, she responded. “When I am sitting on the computer, retouching people’s skin, I don’t really like it. I like to shoot for myself. It’s hard to shoot for clients. I don’t enjoy it as much when I do it for other people.”

Even still, it’s hard to deny her talent. Most artists don’t love the business side of photography.

The good news is that she plans on continuing to take photographs when she returns to Bangkok in the fall. “I’ll miss New York,” she says. “We always miss the places we’ve already gone to.”

To learn more about Poupay’s work, visit her website, or follow her on Instagram.

A selection of her images are below. All images © Poupay Jutharat.

 

 

 



from PDNedu https://ift.tt/2Ix3bcG
via IFTTT

0 comments:

Post a Comment