Friday, August 3, 2018

What to do when a Sony Firmware Update Leaves only a Little Red Light Flashing on the Back of an a7R III or Other Camera

Sony a7R III
Installing a Sony firmware update on an alpha a7R III and other similar series cameras involves downloading the updated firmware, connecting the camera to the computer via a USB cable and executing the downloaded software. When instructed to do so, the software does its task, leaving the camera in an updated state.
 
I need to clarify that last statement: it leaves the camera in an updated state if all goes as desired. After attempting to install Sony a7R III Firmware v.1.10, my camera had only a little red light flashing on the back. While that was concerning to me, cycling the camera power fixes most camera (and computer) problems and I immediately took that option. Unfortunately, the light remained on. Especially with the buggy early firmware of the a7R II, I wasn't worried. I simply removed and reinserted the (fully charged) battery. Still, the only sign of life was the red light.
 
I was leaving for a more than 1 week long photo trip the next day. I have backup cameras that I could have taken instead of this one, but I didn't have any more Sony cameras and I intended evaluate some Sony lenses while traveling. Right, installing updated firmware just before leaving wasn't the brightest idea, but things are crazy here and ... that was when I found time to get the task done.
 
Anyway, what you really want to know is "What should I do when a Sony firmware update leaves only a red light flashing on the back of the camera?" Re-installing the firmware upgrade, potentially multiple times, (usually) solves this problem. It was that easy for me and hopefully it will be that easy for you.
 
I don't know why the firmware update failed the first time but worked the second time and that is a problem (and a waste of time and energy). But, that the camera was working again in a short period of time was ... sweet. And now, if you experience the same problem, you will know what to do.


from Canon, Nikon and Sony News, Deals and What's New at The-Digital-Picture.com https://ift.tt/2OD4UBL
via IFTTT

0 comments:

Post a Comment